Debates

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Fri Oct 13 11:15:30 PDT 2000

Leo asks how the claim that "the free development of each is a condition for the free development of all" can be anything but a principle of distributive justice. Well, it can be a factual claim: that there cannot asa matter of fact be free development for each without there being free development for all. Moreover, if it is a normative claim, it is not a distributive one. It does not tell us that we are to distribute freedom equally, or that we may distribute unequally just insofar as necessary in order to promote greater freedom. In fact, it tell sus nothing about the distribution of freedom or free development except that it must be universal for individuals to enjoy it. That's consistent with a very large number of inconsistent distributions. --jks