Said on American Zionism

Seth Ackerman SAckerman at FAIR.org
Fri Oct 13 16:06:49 PDT 2000

Does the American necktie-wearing class judge foreign movements according to how peaceful and decent they are? Or do their judgements have more to do with advancing US security and economic interests?

The United States media have no trouble seeing the point of view of avowed terrorists (or people who "take the Black September road rather than the Ghandi road"). Jamie Rubin and Madeleine Albright are great friends with Hashim "the Snake" Thaqi, former head of the terrorist KLA which tortures and kidnaps elderly Serbs as a policy. The KLA is now funded by the UN and NATO. The media have no time to cover Albanian terrorism, but endless fascination with Serbian atrocities. Kosovo Albanians are an "oppressed people" not "fanatical terrorists" like the Palestinians.

Or how about the Contras? If mass murder and mutilation disqualify movements from elite US sympathy, it's hard to see how the Contras managed to stay so well-funded by the USA and so admired by much of the mainstream media, including paragons of liberal enlightenment like the New York Times' Abe Rosenthal.

I too would like to see the Palestinians choose mass civil disobediance rather than war. But damn, it's hard to think of any people in the world that has been so throroughly and deliberately screwed by America. It's as if Iraq not only invaded Kuwait but ethnically cleansed its population into Saudi Arabia, then invaded the part of Saudi where the Kuwaiti refugees lived and after 30 years of occupation declared that it would generously allow some limited autonomy for the Kuwaiti refugees, surrounded and encircled by Iraqi soldiers, checkpoints and illegal Iraqi settlements. And that's called the peace process. And the UNSC condemns it, and the whole world is against it, but Iraq gets away with it because the world's hulking thug, America, lets it happen.

Seth