Said on American Zionism

Fri Oct 13 18:19:30 PDT 2000

>>> delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU 10/13/00 07:05PM >>>

It's *much* more complicated than that. The U.S. security interest in the Middle East is to keep the oil flowing, as Secretary Marshall said to President Truman.

Cb: What's complicated about that ? Any political economist can understand that.

>Who was it who displaced 800,000 Palestinians in 1948, and
>instituted 50 years of repression leaving little outlet of
>resistance.

Israel.

It makes me cry. *All* Arafat had to do after Oslo was to announce that he was going to follow the Gandhi road, stage a bunch of media events showing Palestinian brigades throwing their weapons into the Jordan. Then he could have started the sit-ins and invited in the TV cameras, and watched the Israeli hawks lose votes in the Knesset and votes in the House of Representatives.

Yet he wasn't up to the task...

Brad DeLong