Said on American Zionism

James Baird jlbaird3 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 14 12:17:43 PDT 2000

> Yes. But support for Israel doesn't help accomplish
> that...

This is one thing I've never been able to figure out about U.S. support for Israel: why? What U.S. interest does it serve? Of course, the conventional line is "we have to protect the only democracy in the region", which is so much gibberish, but ideas like Chomsky's that Israel is the "local cop on the beat" to keep the muslims in line, don't really seem to wash either.

>From a pure U.S. imperialist standpoint, the Israeli's
seem to stir up more trouble than they're worth. The only explanation I can come up with is the power of the Zionist lobby - but that makes me sound like a neo-nazi fulminating about vast Jewish conspiracies. Does anyone have any concrete explanation for why the U.S. continually shoots itself in the foot supporting an ally that seems to serve no strategic purpose?

Jim Baird