Genovese

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Sat Oct 14 13:07:07 PDT 2000

In a message dated 10/14/00 1:02:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kwalker2 at gte.net writes:

<< oh well ferchrisakes. this argument is just bizarre. gramscian consent to

your own subordination INCLUDES all sorts of resistance. of course they

hated and resisted it. the point is that manifestations of that hate and

resistance reinscribes their own subjugation.

>From a feminist point of view, why is this so strange? Gramsci teaches us,
and I would agree, that resistance that is counter-hegemonic ism more than griping or resentment: it involves developing an alternative conception of hopw things could be, in my terms, a radical conception of hjustice that does not merely call for more and better under the present order, but for a different order in which we are not subordinate.

The slaves had a vision of such an order--in their religion--but generally this deferred emancipation until the next world, till they crossed the River Jordan. Those who saw prospects in the here and now were few and far between. That is usual for an oppresseed group. It is hard to formulate and promulgate a radical justice.

Indeed, from an ordthodix Marxist point of view, the idea that consent is consistent with resentment at subordination ought not be suprising: religion is the heart of a heartless world, the cry of the oppressed soul, and the opium of the masses. I would have thought all this was elementary. --jks