everything's really ok (nation-state)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Oct 14 13:11:56 PDT 2000

Patrick Bond wrote:

>The nation-state is where most Transitional
>Demands are made. Isn't capital controls just such a demand?

Hmm, well nation-states come in many different sizes and shapes. Some are big and rich, some are big and poor, some are small and rich, some are small and poor. How much could, say, Ecuador do at the nation-state level, compared with, say, Brazil? How about South Africa vs. Chad? I think Sam's right, that there has to be some serious south-south cooperation for any delinking to work.

Doug