Bush pulls ahead against "big government"

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sun Oct 15 15:23:33 PDT 2000

At 10:06 15/10/00 -0700, BD wrote:
>Chris Burford wrote:
>: What do radical leftists in the USA say about Bush's advantage in the
>: election polls? Many are critical of the "Third Way" but is it not
>needed now?
>
>Actually, I'd say the current situation is the fault of "Third Way" democrats.

I am interested in your comments and those of others. In the UK Labour BTW has just bounced back in the opinion polls as 7% ahead of the Conservatives. The problem next year will be motivating them all to get to the polls.

An article on the the US election by the same Guardian team on Tuesday, put the case against big business. My sense is that even with attempts at consensus new politics, at some stage they have to have an enemy to fight. Presumably Gore cannot fight it too explicitly for fear of losing what big money the Democrats get:

Bush Gore Contributions in million $ from ...

39.7 17.0 Finance, insurance and real estate

8.1 11.9 Lawyers 12.7 2.3 Oil, other natural resources, energy

7.7 3.4 Pharmaceuticals, other health sector

4.3 5.6 Computer industry

7.8 1.5 Agribusiness

5.7 3.5 Hollywood and TV

7.1 1.9 Transport