After the Autumn of the Patriarch (was Re: New Economy, Mid East)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Oct 15 17:00:05 PDT 2000

Hi Doug:

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>As for Arafat, we are not in a position to elect a new leader for
>>Palestinians; nor are we for any other people, for that matter.
>
>But hasn't he now been annoited leader by Israel and the U.S., much
>to the irritation of many Palestinians?

We -- you, me, Carrol, Nathan, anyone here -- are not Israeli/U.S. governments. We can & have criticized Israeli/U.S. governments, and this we should continue, tirelessly. As long as we don't have any power here, though, we can't change the U.S. policy on Palestine or anything else for that matter. Heckling Albright is much fun, but we never seem to be able to go very further than this.

>>BTW, I still think that you & Lou (& many other big-city leftists)
>>should move to Columbus, Ohio; Bloomington, Illinois; or Orlando,
>>Florida. You guys will get along very well, because there aren't
>>many leftists here with whom you can get along. (Despite sometimes
>>fierce polemical exchanges online, Justin & I have been good
>>friends offlist -- perhaps because Columbus, Ohio has taught us to
>>value friendship among leftists.) Columbus, Bloomington, or
>>Orlando would cure you of the Fourth International ambition, too.
>
>I have no 4th Intl ambitions. What's more, I get along with almost
>everyone, or try to.

Ok, ok, but NY can spoil you -- as the late & lamented Quentin Crisp said, "it's more like movies than you have ever dreamed."

Yoshie