debates was guilty / innocent was debates

Ted Winslow winslow at yorku.ca
Mon Oct 16 07:20:23 PDT 2000

Ken wrote:

>>> The unconscious knows things in a way that the conscious self does not...
>
>> How do you know this?
>
> Because breathing happens whether I consciously think about it or not. Desires
> alone don't make the body go, the drives do.

This assumes there is a "conscious self" able to know how the unconscious knows and hence able to know that "the unconscious knows things in a way that the conscious self does not". This conscious self is able to know things in the way the unconscious does, isn't it?

>>> Well, if you're saying that psychobabble simply makes things up... there is
>>> tremendous amount of clinical evidence that points to the contrary...
>
>> This presupposes a subject for whom evidence can point to something, doesn't
> it? For whom can evidence point to the non-existence of any subject for whom
> evidence could point?
>
> Psychobabble doesn't presuppose a subject. It simply asks the question "Who is
> speaking?" As it turns out, there is never just one voice, there are many
> voices. And, try as I might, I can't figure out what your last sentence means.

Who speaks "psychobabble"? If the answer to this question is "unconscious and multiple speakers within the self", the speaker of psychobabble is not a self able to ground what it says in evidence.

Ted -- Ted Winslow E-MAIL: WINSLOW at YORKU.CA Division of Social Science VOICE: (416) 736-5054 York University FAX: (416) 736-5615 4700 Keele St. Toronto, Ontario CANADA M3J 1P3