debates was guilty / innocent was debates

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 16 08:27:51 PDT 2000

--- kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca wrote: >
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:20:23 -0400 Ted Winslow
> <winslow at yorku.ca> wrote:
>

> Well, that's because the subject is split.
> Subjectivity grounds itself
> tautologically - "I am what I am." But this loop is
> sundered, there is a
> remainder.

Just to interject that this sort of statement, and a lot of ken's other stuff about refusing to identify a single Cartesian "I", is perfectly consistent with what Daniel Dennett and a whole load of other cognitive philosophers of altogether hard-headed bent think. Which is not to say that they'd endorse the rest of ken's thesis; just that attacking the point about the presence or absence of a unitary conscious subject is probably a red herring.

Personally speaking, I can't even stand Dennett.

dd