Fwd: 'Do not forget ideas are also weapons'

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 16 11:43:46 PDT 2000

Le Monde diplomatique

October 2000

WHY DO WE ALL AGREE THE GLOBAL MARKET IS INEVITABLE?

'Do not forget ideas are also weapons'

by SUBCOMANDANTE MARCOS *

The purpose of this text is to fuel the debate between right and

leftwing intellectuals. It does not attempt to explain the relation

of either with governments or changes in society.

I. Pay-per-view global domination

The world is not square, or so we learn at school, but on the brink

of the third millennium it is not round either. I do not know which

geometrical figure best represents the world in its present state

but, in an era of digital communication, we could see it as a

gigantic screen - one of those screens you can program to display

several pictures at the same time, one inside the other. In our

global world the pictures come from all over the planet - but some

are missing. Not because there is not enough room on the screen but

because someone up there selected these pictures rather than

others.

What do the pictures show? On the American continent, we see a

paramilitary group occupying the Autonomous National University of

Mexico (Unam); but the men in grey uniforms are not there to study.

Another frame shows an armoured column thundering through a native

community in Chiapas. Beside this, we see United States police

using violence to arrest a youth in a city that could be Seattle or

Washington. The pictures in Europe are just as grey.

II. A memorable omission

Intellectuals have been part of society since the dawn of humanity.

Their work is analytical and critical. They look at social facts

and analyse the evidence, for and against, looking for anything

ambiguous, that is neither one thing nor the other, revealing

anything that is not obvious - sometimes even the opposite of what

seems obvious.

These professional critics act as a sort of impertinent

consciousness for society. They are non-conformists, disagreeing

with everything - social and political forces, the state,

government, media, arts, religion and so on. Activists will just

say "we've had enough", but sceptical intellectuals will cautiously

murmur "too much" or "not enough". Intellectuals criticise

immobility, demand change and progress. They are, nevertheless,

part of a society, which is the scene of endless confrontation and

is split between those who use power to maintain the status quo and

those who fight for change.

Intellectuals must choose between their function as intellectuals

and the role that activists offer them. It is also here that we see

the split between progressive and reactionary intellectuals. They

all continue their work of critical analysis, but whereas the more

progressive persist in criticising immobility, permanence, hegemony

and homogeneity, the reactionaries focus their attacks on change,

movement, rebellion and diversity. So in fact, reactionary

intellectuals "forget" their true function and give up critical

thought. Their memory shrinks, excluding past and future to focus

only on the immediate and present. No further discussion is

possible.

III. Intellectual pragmatism

Many leading rightwing intellectuals start life as progressives.

But they soon attract the attention of the powerful, who deploy

innumerable stratagems to buy or destroy them. Progressive

intellectuals are "born" in the midst of a process of seduction and

persecution. Some resist; others, convinced that the global economy

is inevitable, look in their box of tricks and find reasons to

legitimate the existing power structure. They are awarded with a

comfortable armchair, on the right hand of the prince they once

denounced.

They can find any number of excuses for this supposedly

"inevitable" outcome: it is the end of history; money is everywhere

and all-powerful; the police have taken the place of politics; the

present is the only possible future; there is a rational

explanation for social inequality; there are even "good reasons"

for the unbridled exploitation of human beings and natural

resources, racism, intolerance and war.

In an era marked by two new paradigms - communication and the

market - rightwing intellectuals have realised that being "modern"

means obeying one rule: "Adapt or go under". They are not required

to be original, just to think like everyone else, taking their cue

from international bodies like the World Bank, the International

Monetary Fund or the World Trade Organisation.

Far from indulging in original, critical thought, rightwing

intellectuals become remarkably pragmatic, echoing the advertising

slogans that flood the world's markets. In exchange for a place in

the sun and the support of certain media and governments, they cast

off their critical imagination and any form of self-criticism and

espouse the new, free market creed.

IV. Blind seers

The problem is not why the global economy is inevitable, but why

almost everyone agrees that it is. Just as the economy is becoming

increasingly global, so is culture and information. How are we to

prevent vast media and communications companies like CNN or News

Corporation, Microsoft or AT&T, from spinning their worldwide web?

In today's world economy the major corporations are essentially

media enterprises, holding up a huge mirror to show us what society

should be, not what it is. To paraphrase Régis Debray, what is

visible is real and consequently true (1). That, by the way, is one

of the tenets of rightwing dogma. Debray also explains that the

centre of gravity of news has shifted from the written word to

visual effects, from recorded to live broadcasts, from signs to

pictures.

To retain their legitimacy, today's rightwing intellectuals must

fulfil their role in a visual era, opting for what is immediate and

direct, switching from signs to images, from thought to TV

commentary.

V. Future past

In Mexico, leftwing intellectuals are very influential. Their crime

is that they get in the way. Well, one of their crimes, because

they also support the Zapatistas in their struggle: "The Zapatista

uprising heralds the start of a new era in which native movements

will emerge as players in the fight against the neoliberal global

economy" (2). But we are neither unique nor perfect. Just look at

the natives of Ecuador and Chile, and the demonstrations in

Seattle, Washington, Prague - and those that will follow. We are

just one of the pictures that deform the giant screen of the world

economy.

The prince has consequently issued orders: "Attack them! I shall

supply the army and media. You come up with the ideas". So

rightwing intellectuals spend their time insulting their leftwing

counterparts, and because of the Zapatista movement's international

impact, they are now busy rewriting our story to suit the demands

of the prince.

VI. Neoliberal fascists

In one of his books Umberto Eco provides some pointers as to why

fascism is still latent (3). He starts by warning us that fascism

is a diffuse form of totalitarianism, then defines its

characteristics: refusal of the advance of knowledge, disregard of

rational principles, distrust of culture, fear of difference,

racism, individual or social frustration, xenophobia, aristocratic

elitism, machismo, individual sacrifice for the benefit of the

cause, televised populism and use of Newspeak with its limited

words and rudimentary syntax.

These are the values that rightwing intellectuals defend. Take

another look at the giant screen. All that grey is a response to

disorder, reflected in demands for law and order from all around

us. But is Europe once more the prey of fascism? We may well see

skinheads, with their swastikas, on the screen, but the commentator

is quick to reassure us that they are only minority groups, already

under control. But it may also take other, more sinister forms (see

the articles by Christian Semler and Brigitte Pätzold in this

issue).

After the fall of the Berlin wall both sides of the political

spectrum in Europe rushed to occupy the centre. This was all too

obvious with the traditional left, but it was also the case with

the far right (4). It went out of its way to acquire a new image,

well removed from its violent, authoritarian past, enthusiastically

espousing neoliberal dogma.

VII. Sceptically hopeful

The task of progressive thinkers - to remain sceptically hopeful -

is not an easy one. They have understood how things work and,

noblesse oblige, they must reveal what they know, dissect it,

denounce it and pass it on to others. But to do this, they must

also confront neoliberal dogma, backed by the media, banks, major

corporations, army and police.

What is more, we live in a visual age - and so, to their

considerable disadvantage, progressive thinkers must fight the

power of the image with nothing but words. But their scepticism

will get them out of that trap, and if they are equally sceptical

in their critical analysis, they will be able to see through the

virtual beauty to the real misery it conceals. So perhaps there is

reason to hope.

There is a story that when Michelangelo sculpted his statue of

David, he had to work on a "second-hand" piece of marble that

already had holes in it. It is a mark of his talent that he was

able to create a figure that took account of these limitations. The

world we want to transform has already been worked on by history

and is largely hollow. We must nevertheless be inventive enough to

change it and build a new world.

Take care and do not forget that ideas are also weapons.

* Leader of the Zapatista National Liberation Army, Chiapas, Mexico

(excerpted from "La droite intellectuelle et le fascisme libéral"

which appeared Le Monde diplomatique in French in August 2000; the

full version of this text is available on our internet site in

French, as is a longer version in Spanish)

1.

2. Croire, voir, faire, Odile Jacob, Paris, 1999.

3. Yvon Le Bot, "Los indígenas contra el neoliberalismo", La Jornada,

6 March 2000.

4. Umberto Eco, Cinque scritti morali, Bompiani, Milan, 1997.

5. See Emiliano Fruta, "La nueva derecha europea", and Hernán R.

Moheno, "Más allá de la vieja izquierda y la nueva derecha", in

Urbi et Orbi, Itam, Mexico, April 2000.

Translated by Harry Forster