guns & purses (was Re: guns & crime)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 17 09:51:05 PDT 2000

The gun argument gets raised to the metaphysical inane by failing to focus on the *kind* of regulation and the *kind* of guns involved. No "anti-gun" argument or proposal I know of includes hunting weapons (rifles and shotguns). And I don't know any serious person (not counting some National Rifle Association leaders and members in the category of serious person) who advocates making bazookas or atomic artillery generally available in the corner market. The debate is essentially over hand guns -- or, more narrowly yet, over carrying handguns (concealed or unconcealed) in public.

I would be concerned by any proposal to place stingent limits on the possession of shotguns. I do not own a weapon, but back in the late '60s when there was some reason to fear vigilante action against me, I did consider purchasing a shotgun. It is the only useful weapon for self-defense by anyone not trained in weapons and fearful of such attack in his/her home. And considering that black communities are under virtual military occupation, I can see why some black citizens would want to have access to rifles. However one judges these situations, at least they provide a more reasonable context for debate than the metaphysical "guns vs. no guns."

As a personal opinon, anyone who keeps a loaded handgun in the house is a fool. Such a weapon is most apt to be used against some member of the household.

Carrol