guns & purses (was Re: guns & crime)

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Tue Oct 17 10:25:02 PDT 2000

Carrol Cox wrote:
> >And I don't know any serious person (not counting some National
> >Rifle Association leaders and members in the category of serious person) who
> >advocates making bazookas or atomic artillery generally available in the
> >corner market.

Doug Henwood:
> Some nut who won a House seat in the Republican sweep of '94 was
> asked what his criteria were for private ownership of weapons. He
> said anything the government own, citizens should be free to own.
> Asked if that included nuclear weapons, he paused a moment and said
> yes.

One could reverse the prescription and say that the government (and the rest of the ruling class) should not be able to own anything that ordinary citizens were not free to own. This suggests a good program for weapons control: start at the top with the worst stuff and the most dangerous owners.