Genovese

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Wed Oct 18 11:47:19 PDT 2000

> I think that Genovese, even when he was a Marxist, never fully
> understood the nature of slave owners' hegemony over non-slave-owning
> whites -- nor did he understand what had made chattel slavery in the
> American South different from pre-capitalist slave societies and
> feudalism; and I argue that his inability to understand these two
> points in part explains Genovese's post-Marxist embrace of
> Neo-Confederacy.
> Yoshie

Bingo (I think)...

Genovese has always held antebellum US South to be feudal-like periphery and thought southern conservatism to have markers common to European tradition (in contrast to Russell Kirk, for example, who viewed southern agrarianism as expression of uniquely American conservatism).

Old South legal system was inconsistent re. slave status except on matters of punishment by death and right to sell. Existence of several Souths - conditions were generally more severe on large plantations, neighboring slavers could differ, overseers might be more/less harsh - does not lessen relativity of EG's "good massa." American slavery rested on use of force, not on planter class succeeding in manufacturing legitimacy via other means.

Genovese maintains he's never been radical and his hostility to New and post-New Left/s is pretty legend. His Marxist writings portray antebellum US South in manner that manifests itself in recent works as respect for "organic" tradition and its critical attitude toward role of marketplace. Michael Hoover