guns & purses (was Re: guns & crime)

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Wed Oct 18 13:03:31 PDT 2000

Btw a quick scan on westlaw shows that all the Courts of Appeals have held that the 2d amendment right is collective, not individual, that it is the power held by the states to form an armed militia. See, e.g., US v. Hale, 92 F.2d 1016, 1019 (8th Cir. 1992), US v. Weaver, 530 F.2d 103, 106 (6th Cir. 1976); Hickman v. Block, 81 F.3d 98, 102 (9th Cir. 1995); US v. Johnson, 497 F.2d 548, 550 (4th Cir. 1974); and from my own Seventh Circuit, Gillespie v. City of Indianapolis, 185 F.3d 693, 7610 (7th Cir. 1999). That's not all, but isn't it enough?

In a message dated Wed, 18 Oct 2000 3:56:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes:

<< JKSCHW at aol.com wrote:

>There is a story about Scalia and some law
>prof. She was criticizing some opinion he wrote as wrong. He concluded by
>saying, there is one difference between us. Yes, she said? He said, I am on
>the Supreme Court, and you are not.

Reminds me of a story Donald Barthelme told somewhere about a conversation with the IRS agent who was auditing him. He mouthed some blather about how literature was discourse, the tax code was discourse, everything was just discourse. And she said, "Yes, but my discourse has subpoena power."

Doug