Sardar Dam goes ahead

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 19 09:32:24 PDT 2000

Western based NGOs have backed the campaign against the Narmada Dam project irrespective of the democratically decided wishes of the Indian people. The fact that the NBA contest the dam is not the same as it being opposed by everyone. In fact it is very popular among many Indians, who suffer considerable electricity shortages and poor water supply.

The Western-inspired campaign against the dam was started by Buddy Rich's Washington-based environmental campaign. The so-called 'tribals' who were campaigning for improved resettlement packages were persuaded by these US environmentalists that they should instead oppose the dam tout court. That strategy now is exposed as a divisive one, that set the tribals against the rest of the state.

The tragedy is that the western anti-dam campaign was never really motivated by any kind of interest in improving the lot of those that were affected. Instead they were seen as a stage army to mobilise. And in what cause? The cause of opposing India's hydro-electric power. Whose interest does that serve? India's, or the West's?

In message <001601c03963$3232a7e0$45bb0918 at sttln1.wa.home.com>, Lisa & Ian Murray <seamus at accessone.com> writes

-- James Heartfield