Obviously (what's the Left problem with GM food?)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 20 06:28:16 PDT 2000

>there will be growing pains, reversals, etc., but as scientists learn more
>about the effects of GM food on the environment and vice-versa, these
>deleterious effects will be overcome....
>
>norm

Simplistic, to say the least. The fundamental problem with GM food is its potential to create irreversible errors that could destroy the environment. This risk was discussed, for example, by Sun Microsystem’s co-founder/chief scientist Bill Joy in his much discussed article in the April 2000 issue of Wired, "Why the Future Doesn’t Need Us" (http://www.wirednews.com/wired/archive/8.04/joy_pr.html). Joy noted: "Accustomed to living with almost routine scientific breakthroughs, we have yet to come to terms with the fact that the most compelling 21st-century technologies – robotics, genetic engineering, and nanotechnology - pose a different threat than the technologies that have come before. Specifically, robots, engineered organisms, and nanobots share a dangerous amplifying factor: They can self-replicate. A bomb is blown up only once – but one bot can become many, and quickly get out of control. ... my own major concern with genetic engineering is ... that it gives the power - whether militarily, accidentally, or in a deliberate terrorist act – to create a White Plague." Think of the "ice-nine" in Kurt Vonnegut’s Cat’s Cradle.

Carl