differentia specifica (was: guns & purses (was Re: guns & crime)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 20 07:50:23 PDT 2000

>On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Carl Remick wrote:
> >
> > I think you're on to something there, Wojtek. Despite the
> > "huddled masses yearning to breathe free" mythology that
> > every American grows up with, I've come to believe that this
> > nation attracted a good number of folks who were not
> > oppressed so much as too violent, greedy or plain selfish to
> > get on with their neighbors in the Old World.
>

>Yeah, I think we should have shut the door on those drunken
>Irish and those fucking thieving, swarthy, Italians before 1850
>and we'd be a lot better off now.
>
>Liberatrian criminals, one and all.

You'll note I said "a good number"; I did not say "one and all"; and I did not make any ethnic claims. The point is, it's foolish and dangerous to share in America's propensity for self-celebration at a time when we're the sole remaining superpower with unprecedented ability to impose our retrograde values on the rest of the world.