Obviously (what's the Left problem with GM food?)

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Fri Oct 20 08:07:01 PDT 2000

Mikalac Norman S NSSC wrote:

> there will be growing pains, reversals, etc., but as scientists learn more
> about the effects of GM food on the environment and vice-versa, these
> deleterious effects will be overcome. non-GM food will be a historical
> curiousity like blacksmiths, horses and the buggy, IMO.

I'm not the world's best theorist here, but your statement smacks of progressive determinism. Or somthing like that. Your prediction that non-GM food will become a historical curiosity is just plain silly. non-GM food has been feeding humans for centuries. The problems with hunger and starvation are due to politics and the methods in which food is distributed. People aren't starving because they don't have access to maize that yields a bushel more an acre; they starve because their land has been taken away from them, and/or they've been forced to grow export crops, or they been hoodwinked into following the stupid advice of some agribusiness huckster.

I suggest you spend less time reading science fiction and spend more time reading about how agriculture really works.

If you really understand how damn stupid your statement is, I suggest starting with "Seeing like a state" by Scott. I'm sure the others on this list can provide a reading list to help you deal with your technophile myopia.

Chuck0