Obviously

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 21 02:18:09 PDT 2000

In message <200010201904984.SM00134@[192.168.1.8]>, martin schiller <mschiller at mac.com> writes

>Printing gave us racial hate literature, religious tracts furthering
>intolerance, etc., from which spring wars and genocides.

Which is bizarre. Nazis *burned* books and banned literature. The battle against intolerance starts with ideas. The prevention of literature invariably leads to burning people.

>The problems with plumbing and drains have caused far worse problems than
>they solved (kesterson), and by mixing chemicals with organic waste have
>removed a natural fertilizer from the organic cycle.

This is deranged. Before Joseph Chamberlain's introduction drainage system in Birmingham people died of cholera in the tens of thousands in England. But you seem to think those people's lives were worthless.

>Vaccinations - well, I'm no scientist but it seems that the human species
>is less capable of developing immunities as a result.

Indeed you are no scientist, but even a lay-person ought to know something about the subject they post on. Natural immunities prove no barrier to the millions lost in epidemics that were contained by vaccinations. No more children in iron lung machines because of polio vaccinations. No more whooping cough. That you could seriously imagine that this is of no moment is breathtaking.

>The role of
>progress in the evolution of HIV is yet to be proven.

Which will not stop you speculating about it, clearly.

>Literacy? And education too. Are humans a lot more intelligent as a
>result?

In a word, yes.

>Is global warming an effect of progress?

In a word, no. The anthropic theory of global warming has long since been blown out of the water, for its failure to account for the data.

-- James Heartfield