"Heterosexual Marriage"!

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Sat Oct 21 13:54:02 PDT 2000

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000 12:36:11 -0400 Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

> I myself have enjoyed works by Sade, Bataille, etc. As a matter of fact, I
consider myself to be something of an expert on the topic (born in Japan, I believe I have an edge over the rest of you). :)

Have you read anything by Angela Carter? Susie B is one of my fav authors... and perhaps Carol Queen could be mentioned too. And there is an excellent anthology on the history of pornography edited by Lynn Hunt...

> BTW, do you (or does anyone) know of a good genealogical account (be it
Marxist, cultural materialist a la Raymond Williams, or Foucauldian) of the term "objectification"?

Marcuse makes a distinction between objectification and reification, which I have always found to be helpful... As mentioned, objectification isn't the problem, rather, the reification of the objective should be one of the primary concerns of a critical theory of society...

ken