"Heterosexual Marriage"!

Christopher Susi chris at susi.net
Sat Oct 21 15:48:53 PDT 2000

<<SNIP>>

> >You know I fluctuate back and forth on this
> > issue (people dying across the planet).
> > Should I care or not?
>
> It's a darn good thing that someone cared about the fact that we couldn't
> fly, couldn't travel to the moon, couldn't make bombs, couldn't
> record our
> images and voices, couldn't reproduce without doing it the
> old-fashioned way,
> etc. Eh?

Right. I'm not saying care about advancing our society. I mean, care about those left behind in the wake of advancement.

I'll give you an example. There is the recent talk about the Digitial Divide, the ones who have information and the ones who don't. If indeed this new group is indeed leading a potential evolutionary advancement (say genetic engineering among the well-off that concievably creates "Homo Sapien Superior") how much should I concern myself with the ones who will eventually be left behind (unable to breed as "..Superior") (save for the possibility of an uprising or revolution).

> > This has happened for hundreds of millions of years, and will likely
> >continue to happen in one form or another for another hundred
> > million years or more." Who am I to change that process?
>
> The same guy who applauds the changing of the human process
> called "death",
> the same guy who applauds life something other than we know it,
> the same guy
> who applauds the above developments.
>
> Note, however, that the problem with starvation is not that we don't have
> enough but, rather, it's a problem of distribution.

Or might it be, those who have have no reason to supply to those who don't. A problem of distrubution in my mind means that we have no means to ship food there. We have planes and boats. The question is, what benefit is it to those who can?

Certainly there is a sense of some form of gross injustice that one individual may throw food away while another starves to death. Hell that happens in the microcosm of a city neighborhood. But it goes back to one of the few truisms..those who have, get more. Those who have not, taketh away.

(this is probably the WRONG list to advocate "rich get richer, poor get poorer" is a good thing) <SNIX>