Cybersilliness

Christopher Susi chris at susi.net
Sat Oct 21 20:09:36 PDT 2000

The question was, why do only humans deserve this special treatment. Should we strive to keep alive other animals when their necessary resources become depleted (for sake of argument, lets say it's not a man-made depletion).

Suppose a disease ravages a population of mammals that is the primary food source of a higher order of mammals. A significant portion of those higher-order mammals will also die. Now, if it were cows that became endagered, and therefore endangering us - yes. We should step in because it's in our best interest. However what if it's the west-indian three-legged jack-rabbit? Are we obligated to somehow save them because we may have the ability? If not, wouldn't it be just as wrong as letting a significant portion of humans die? At what order of animal do we draw the line? Chimps?

Anyhow, I think you'll find that in the history of life, the basis to justify saving or helping something is when it stood in the best interest of the savior (e.g. building symbiotic relationships). Of course there are the parastic relationships, but those the host will either try to destroy if possible or they may not be able to, but I doubt they go out of their way to ensure the parasite is well taken care of. Call me a cold-hearted fuck, but unless I find benefit (other than quelling a guilty soul) I see no reason to sacrifice for the benefit of others.