Obviously (what's the Left problem with GM food?)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 22 05:45:49 PDT 2000

>But of course, Joanna's nod to leftism is not
>her substantial disagreement with GM food which is mostly quasi-
>religious hostility to tampering with God's plan.

Very droll, Father Heartfield. What *is* religious is your bottomless faith in the infallibility of science. Any questioning of technological determinism becomes, to you, a:

>a desire to know the future [that] in a literal sense
>belongs to magical thinking.

Perhaps your devotion to science marks you not as a priest so much as a more compelling figure, the Harold Wilson of our times, suffused with "the white heat of technology" and incandescent with mindless optimism.