Obviously (what's the Left problem with GM food?)

Sun Oct 22 09:41:44 PDT 2000

>>> Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk 10/22/00 09:52AM >

When Carl uses the term science, he doesn't know that this is merely a compacted way of saying 'to question everything, taking only the objective as warrant for knowledge'. (By contrast faith founds knowledge on belief.) So, 'faith in science' isn't really faith. It means faith in the evidence of the sense, which is to say, that every proposition should be tested.

CB: I'd urge a little more questioning of how the discoveries of science today are likely to be used under our capitalist regime, based on the objective evidence of the history of capitalist use of science.

(((((((((

I am happy to plead guilty to optimism which I know puts me beyond the pale as far as Carl is concerned. Optimism, to me, seems the principle emotional basis of any positive ambition for social change. Furthermore, there is more than enough empirical grounds for optimism - just as there is enough evidence of the squandering of human possibilities to make one shake with indignation.

CB: Perhaps it is your unquestioning optimism about how scientific discoveries are likely to be used under our capitalist regime that starts to move toward a religious type of outlook. "Don't worry , be happy" optimism is not scientific; it is not "questioning everything" and looking at the "objective" history of capitalism to warrant your answers about what capitalism is likely to do in the future with powerful scientific discoveries.