Survivor!

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au
Mon Oct 23 07:59:13 PDT 2000

All right, I'll confess right off I haven't, couldn't, read the posts leading up to this but on taking a deep breath and looking at my email I find:

>I hate to break up this little "no I'm the underdog" love-fest, but
>utilitarian individualism is certainly NOT predominate in the US. "By
>their fruits ye shall know them". Judge the actions, not the words.
>Where are all these utilitarian individualists on election day? Voting
>for Gore and Bush????? Yeah right.
>
>The US is predominately made up of thoughtless robots, programmed for mass
>consumption and rote work. The robot is only superior if you judge
>superiority using amount of debt and number of useless toys. The robot
>knows nothing of utility and lives his life trying to stamp out the little
>individuality he has. The robots dress alike, talk alike, and think
>alike.

um... sorry but since when do robots have debt, toys, thoughts, (attempts at) individuality, dress, talk, thoughts (again) ok yes i'm missing something i know but what's up here?

>The robot is programmed for fear,

seems a tad impractical to me

>and has been conditioned to
>associate fear and unpleasantness with responsibility, so the robot does
>anything to abandon responsibility whenever possible.

a remarkably inferior robot i would think not being a robot-buying kind of person, i still reckon i'd want my money back

>The equivocation of social darwinism with libertarian political philosophy
>is absurd. Libertarians believe in cooperation and charity, we just don't
>want to be forced to cooperate and support charities at the barrel of a
>gun.

wow -- well now i know i missed something... so people were forcing you to buy robots at gunpoint? how singular.

>It would be more useful to evaluate the social darwinist theories
>providing the foundation for programs like affirmative action.

this connection is right off the scale of anything i understand please explain? [i promise, for people accustomed to my infidelity in email exchanges, to be in this relationship for at least 5 days]

>Matt Cramer <cramer at voicenet.com>
>http://www.voicenet.com/~cramer/
>This is the age of decay and hypocrisy,
>Sometimes I feel like the world isn't