Genocide In Rwanda, and US INaction

LeoCasey at aol.com LeoCasey at aol.com
Mon Oct 23 14:00:51 PDT 2000

James Heartfield writes: << Let's hope that Leo's Herculean efforts to absolve the US of involvement

in the destabilisation and invasion of Rwanda are well-rewarded. >>

We were born, James, but not yesterday. The fact of the matter is that this entire thread began when you objected to my position that the US had been guilty of gross inaction in the face of genocide, and that Americans should hold the US government responsible for that inaction. It was you, my dear friend, who rushed to defend the US against this charge -- one which is universally accepted among the literally scores of studies done on the subject by international bodies and human rights organizations.

No, I don't believe that you are "well-rewarded" for excusing the American inaction in the face of the genocide. I think it is simply willful, obstinate ideologically myopic stupidity of the sort that has put "Dead Marxism" on the wrong side of every human rights issue of importance in Africa for the last decade.

Leo Casey United Federation of Teachers 260 Park Avenue South New York, New York 10010-7272 (212-598-6869)

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never has, and it never will. If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation are men who want crops without plowing the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightening. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its waters. -- Frederick Douglass --