Survivor!

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Mon Oct 23 19:58:11 PDT 2000

On this I absolutely agree with you, Christopher. The hostility with which your attempts at discussion were met has been a source of depression for me, too. Most here profess a political theory based on solidarity, the theory/practice dialectic, and the conviction it has something to say from which others might benefit - and yet so many can't control, don't even think it is important to try to control, their propensity to smug ostracisation. I reckon a lot of people think the things you think, and I reckon you're importantly wrong. If I help to drive you off, I am effectively saying I'm not interested in all those other folks either. Which would mean I don't mean my politics or I don't understand it. It would also mean I'm a gratuitously rude bastard.

Sorry you had to cop it, mate. But, if it helps, you're not the first, and, sadly, you won't be the last.

Politically, the left has become a sad joke - and we've no-one to blame but ourselves.

Miserably yours, Rob.