Survivor!

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Tue Oct 24 14:10:18 PDT 2000

> Back in the 70s, we used to say "Smith to bed, Holyoke to wed."
>
>Doug

wow! holyoke recruited me when i was in high school! you mean i coulda been a contender??

man, i'm glad i learn about the hierarchy of the unis too late in my life. about all the opportunities for self-seeking advancement and riches now, when i'm over-the-hill and can't really regret it all too much. but man, i was a big libertarian Young Republicans about that time, just a brief spell induced by the charms of a woman. i don't mind missing out on the upper middle class lifestyle so much as i rrilly rilly wish i coulda been privy to the inner workings!

>last one to the final page is a Bush-voter.
>
>catherine

one of my favorites:

"we wish to be self-sustained. we do not quite forgive a giver. ... We are either glad or sorry at a gift, and both emotions are unbecoming. Some violence i think is done, some degradation borne, when I rejoice or grieve at a gift. I am sorry when my independence is invaded...and if the gift pleases me overmuch, then I should be ashamed that the donor should read my heart...For the expectation of gratitude is mean, and is continually punished by the obliged person. It is a great happiness to get off without injury and heart-burning from one who has had the ill luck to be served by you. It is a very onerous business, this of being served, and the debtor naturally wishes to give you a slap."

kelley