To Fight w/o Fighting

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu
Tue Oct 24 13:17:48 PDT 2000

Apropos the thread on non-violence, it's too simple to claim that NV is for woolly-headed liberals with too much time on their hands. Erik Erikson's really extraordinary psychobiography of Gandhi, "Gandhi's Truth", points out that NV is a poor translation of "soul-force", a kind of resistance or mobilization which is as powerful as any military mobilization. The Viet Cong, on this level, were Gandhi's children: patient persuasion, cultural mobilization and the admonition that "We Vietcong are not your [the peasants'] father; rather, you are our mother" are what won the war, and they are all direct applications of NV. Vietnam might have experienced a Gandiesque liberation, but France sent attack airplanes in 1930-31 to slaughter peacefully protesting peasants in Central Vietnam.

And yes, the header is from a Bruce Lee movie (a much later, but not unrelated form of anti-colonial resistance).

-- Dennis