Genocide In Rwanda, and US INaction

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 24 14:38:57 PDT 2000

There was intervention in Rwanda, there wasn't intervention in Rwanda, the UN was there, the UN wasn't there, the US determined the course of events, the US didn't determine the course of events.

Leo is tying himself in knots.

At the heart of his confusion is a basically dishonest position.

The *form* of his argument is a criticism of the US ('you didn't intervene'). At its strongest this criticism runs 'because you didn't intervene genocide happened'.

But the argument is only critical in form. Its content is quite different. The content of the argument is 'the US should determine the course of events in Rwanda'.

The nagative form belies an affirmative content: US intervention is a force for good in the world.

Leo hopes that the sheer horror of the massacres will outweigh our critical senses to the point that no-one will notice that he is demanding that the most destructive world power at the end of the twentieth century should by some act of transubstantiation become instead a force for sweetness and light.

In message <4f.27b56d1.2727082c at aol.com>, LeoCasey at aol.com writes

-- James Heartfield