Fwd: Latest Presidential Election Numbers from www.gallup.com

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Oct 24 21:01:29 PDT 2000

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Nathan Newman wrote:

> Of course it will be different in the US. Especially if the Greens get the
> 5%, we have a good model for the likely outcome - the Reform Party, where
> the takeover of the party by ruthless sectarians converted a goo-goo
> budget-balancing party into a fascist conservative vehicle.

Perhaps. If Nader sticks around for another cycle, as he says he will, at least the Greens will have some high-powered legal counsel. And a guy who's main fault has probably been that he hates to lose control of an organization he considers his. On top of that, the Greens will have the advantage of the Reform example. They'll know what to prepare for, and they'll take the threat seriously. And lastly, for all their faults, I my guess is that the Greens are ideologically a little more savvy that the Reformisti, and therefore a little harder pickings. We'll see.

Michael