Genocide In Rwanda, and US action

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 25 00:15:11 PDT 2000

In message <a05001905b61b94615cbf@[10.0.1.25]>, Brad DeLong <delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU> writes
>Isn't "started the cycle of violence that led to the slaughter" an
>example of what we in other contexts call "blaming the victim"?

No. It would not be right to say that Rakiya Omaar and Alex de Waal were blaming the victims of the slaughter in Rwanda when they wrote that the RPF started the cycle of violence. Why? Because the RPF were not the victims of the slaughter, they were the victors of the war. The victims were Tutsis living in Rwanda, 800 000 of them. As well as them, there were other victims, such as the 8000 refugees slaughtered indiscriminately at Kibeho camp. They were killed by the RPF. -- James Heartfield