LBO = flame city? (was RE: Survivor!)

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Wed Oct 25 08:49:27 PDT 2000

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, kelley wrote:
> the flames are of a wholly different kind than the simplistic, "you're a
> moron". they are typically what i call substantive flames. when carrol

At what point does a substantive flame-fest become a real argument, though? Flame-wars strike me as being one thing and one thing only: a conversation for the benefit of the speaker, not the listener.

I've never had that opinion of LBO-talk, even at its most confrontational. Instead, we are generally infused with missionary zeal and the need to win over one's opponents, not merely crush them under a flood of rhetoric. That's what sets LBO-talk apart from vast majority of listservs.

I admit that I've been snarky a couple of times recently, and there are posts which were not shining examples of comradeship (hmm .. time to selectively edit the archive. He who controls the past, &c, &c). However, LBO-talk is by and large the least flame-prone listserv that I've ever participated in. Quite an achievement, given the personalities and egos on the list.

Now, if you could only dumb it down a bit :).

Cheers,

Marco