Building Big: Dams

McNally, David J. (LNG-MBC) David.J.McNally at bender.com
Wed Oct 25 09:37:59 PDT 2000

Did anyone watch Building Big last night on PBS? It's a program about, yes, building big things, and last night was about Dams - and as a someone who doesn't know too much about the subject, I thought it did a surprisingly good job of describing the benefits and drawbacks of dams, and tried to emphasize both the plight of people displaced by them and their environmental impacts.

The US and Britain also came off looking rather bad for refusing to sell arms to Nasser, and then withdrawing funding for the High Dam after he went ahead and bought them from Czechoslovakia.

Was it really any good, or do I have such diminished expectations that any old middle-of-the road guff looks good?

David.