it's heating up

Steve Perry sperry at usinternet.com
Wed Oct 25 11:06:21 PDT 2000

how does the lbo election model work?

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Doug Henwood Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2000 12:58 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: it's heating up

Chuck0 wrote:

>In this case, Nathan doesn't understand thay many people would like to
>see the Democratic Party die a slow painful death.

A quick death wouldn't be so bad either. But this is the point: like the IMF, the Dems are essentially unreformable. They're the problem, not a potential solution. A Gore defeat would be good news, since it would throw the party into confusion and despair.

Speaking of the party, what does it mean to be a Democrat, anyway? Gore should be claiming Clinton's record as his own, but he's keeping his distance. Clinton's approval rating is around 60%. I just ran the proprietary LBO election model, and it does indeed forecast a Gore victory (surprising details in LBO #95, about to go to press). But Gore is struggling for a tie in the polls. The party is some hybrid of meaningless and evil. It should be blown up.

Doug