it's heating up

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Wed Oct 25 13:05:24 PDT 2000

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Doug Henwood wrote:
> Chuck0 wrote:
> >In this case, Nathan doesn't understand thay many people would like to
> >see the Democratic Party die a slow painful death.
>
> A quick death wouldn't be so bad either. But this is the point: like
> the IMF, the Dems are essentially unreformable. They're the problem,
> not a potential solution. A Gore defeat would be good news, since it
> would throw the party into confusion and despair.

A similar situation to that which allowed the DLC to form, you mean. However, one election defeat isn't going to do it. Maybe three in a row. And they're more likely to adopt the opposition's tactics after the loss, since I believe that they (the DLC) see themselves as being on the right ideological footing (which they appear to be - center-right-lite - for this day and age). It's a lazy ideological footing but going from there all battles become merely tactical questions: which ads to run, which talking-head candidate to back.

And so you have 2000, where both parties are mouthing similar rhetoric and playing the tactical game equally well. They throw a bone or two to their "core" constituencies, but I don't think that's so much ideological as an attempt to exploit wedge issues in the electorate to their advantage.

There is no reason, I think, to expect that this will change. As much as we'd like to have a principled party of the opposition, the election of the american president is not a decision suited to principled parties of the opposition because the loser has little if any influence over the victor. A principled party of the opposition requires that influence be exercised - for example, the NDP tacitly supporting the Liberal minority government in Canada, 1972-74, when many of the left's legislative gains were realized without having to compromise by joining a ruling coalition.

If you want to build that principled party of the opposition, like the Greens are elsewhere, then I believe that the best forum for such would be in the legislative, not the executive, branch. When in Washington or in state capitals, Green legislators could build track records and credibility. Parachuting Ralph Nader in to be the Green presidential candidate is great for attracting the protest vote, but I'm not sure if it'll do anything for the GP's long-term viability or that of any party of the left.

Marco