it's heating up

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Oct 25 16:02:54 PDT 2000

Lisa & Ian Murray wrote:

> >>Since we are on unanswered questions, I've continually raised the issue of
>why leftists don't run serious candidates in Democratic primaries?
>If Nader had run in the primaries, he could have gotten serious progressive
>support and sent a far stronger message to the DLC.
>
>-- Nathan Newman
>
>********
>
>Yeah, right..........name a leftist that didn't self-mutilate their stance
>on tough issues as the DNC transferred the $$ to their campaign, or do you
>think that cash still comes with no strings attached?

Speaking of which, remember Al Gore's disgraceful role in the '88 New York primary? I was just reminded of this in the Cockburn/St Clair book. Gore ran around, Ed Koch at his side, denouncing Jackson as a radical and an anti-Semite. Gore came in a dismal third, but he did Jackson some serious damage - and Jackson's a long-time Democrat, who's done lots of work for the party. Imagine if Ralph had run in the primaries, the campaign of villification would have been something to behold.

Doug