Tech Salary Survey

Christopher Susi chris at susi.net
Wed Oct 25 20:29:20 PDT 2000

Are there recommendations on where I might be able to find salary survey information for computer jobs for 1998 - 2000? I am digging around and looking for some resources I may be missing (e.g. govt. reports, articles, etc.).

I recently was looking at a 2000 salary survey and closely compared it to the magazine's 1999 results. Although the 2000 salary results claimed salaries increased, when I compared total compensation between the two years I found they actually dropped across the board. In fact, in the very first paragraph this article had the balls to compare the base (just the base) compensation in 1999 with total (base + benefits) in 2000 and claim salaries went up 4%. When you compared the 1999 total (base + benefits) with the 2000 total (Base + benefits) the salary dropped 6.6 percent!

My question is, is this just indicative of this particular industry certification (i.e. saturation), or is it pervasive throughout the entire industry. My gut feeling is that if I compare the 1999 with 2000 I'm going to find that tech salaries have been flat or even dropped.