Tom Frank article in Salon

Jeff Downing popsnob at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 26 09:19:23 PDT 2000

Although she doesn't fail to provide an accurate summation of "One Market Under God," Michelle Goldberg ends up wasting a lot of pixels by reverting to the critique used by numerous sympathetic reviewers whenever a thinker they admire fails to dip his nib into the oracular inkwell and offer us a 12-step plan to make it all better. This sort of undue burden was often hoisted onto Chomsky's shoulders (invariably by lefties, since noone else would touch him, at least in the U.S.), critiques based on what he omitted from his books and lectures. I doubt that Goldberg believes a diagnosis is invalid without a prescription, but this repeated call for mantic socio-economic exit strategies--not to mention the media's continued harping on our inability to (in Dubya's vernacular) "speak with one voi-ssss"--is ultimately distracting. Moreover, if it's so durn important, why didn't she call Tom up and ask him herself?

http://salon.com/books/feature/2000/10/26/frank/index.html

It brought to mind the conversation I had with a young woman during the A16 demonstration, at the corner of 17th and Pennsylvania (if I'm remembering correctly). I wore my Baffler ballcap for most of the weekend--less as a fashion statement than a way to fend off the sun and rain--and received nary a comment from the teeming masses until this woman noticed it. She looked at it, nodded, and tugged her vinegar-soaked rag beneath her mouth. "The Baffler, huh? Pretty cynical." "Why would you say that?" I asked. "All that commodify your dissent stuff, it's just so negative. So unconstructive." "How'd you change it?" She shrugged and said, "More optimism," before heading back toward the police line.

Jeff