It's Heating Up ( is "class" in the US today a meaningful con cept for analysis and organizing?)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Oct 26 13:01:37 PDT 2000

Mikalac Norman S NSSC wrote:

>so, why is "class" so important a concept to the Left after 150 years of
>losing battles over it?
>
>(OK, so Dear Old Karl is rolling over in his grave.)

The ruling class certainly hasn't discarded the concept. Why do you suppose employers fight unions, central bankers obsess about the state of labor militancy, bondholders worry about "fiscal responsibility," cops and armies are so well-armed, and so on? The U.S. ruling class is remarkably disciplined and class conscious, even if our working class isn't.

Doug