I am not a marxist

Peter van Heusden pvh at egenetics.com
Fri Oct 27 01:04:13 PDT 2000

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, kelley wrote:

> anyone wanna give a rif on this if they know the answer?
>
> On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Reese wrote:
>
> > A book by Lenin, someone disavowed by Marx,
> (I think Reese was getting at the Paris Commune issue)
>

> It would be VERY interesting, however, to know what early non Russian
> (French and German) Marxists thought of Lenin, if there is any
> literature on this.

What do you mean by 'early'? Of course, the fact that Lenin and Luxemburg had huge public fights is well known - the contents rather less so. I've often wished I had access to a full archive of 'Forwarts' - the period between 1890 and 1914 is certainly under-studied, in my mind, particularly since it includes the expulsion of the anarchists from the 2nd International (1896), the massive debates on opportunism and revisionism in the German SDP, the split in the Netherlands to form the Workers Social Democratic Party (Pannekoek led it, and was roasted by Rosa L for doing so), and so on.

The impression I've always got was that Lenin was rather a sideshow pre-1917, and the real spats were between the German party luminaries. Remember, for instance, that in 1919, Gramsci had never read much Lenin.

Peter -- Peter van Heusden <pvh at egenetics.com> NOTE: I do not speak for my employer, Electric Genetics "Criticism has torn up the imaginary flowers from the chain not so that man shall wear the unadorned, bleak chain but so that he will shake off the chain and pluck the living flower." - Karl Marx, 1844