It's Heating Up ( is "class" in the US today a meaningful concept for analysis and organizing?)

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Oct 27 07:41:40 PDT 2000

. . . it's the various marxist supra "classes" of "proleteriat" vs. "capitalist", "slave" vs. "master", "worker" vs. "owner", "wage value" vs. surplus value", etc. that confound me. e.g., 50% of US citizens are reputed to own company stock. what "class" are these mini-owners by marxist definitions? norm

Beats me. Some time ago here or on another list, I offered the following criterion for defining the privileged versus the many, strictly from a narrow financial standpoint. (as you noted, privilege also goes to gender, race, etc.)

An advantaged person is one whose lifetime income (a more informative measure than wealth) permits him or her to enjoy a high level of consumption over their lifetime notwithstanding the capacity of such a person to refrain from working for an appreciable part of their prime- age period (18-60 or so). in other words, a significant part of such a person's above- average consumption is financed by financial income, and the person can sustain this consumption indefinitely without the need to work for much of the time.

Such a person is not necessarily "rich," nor possessed of great political power. That would be a much smaller elite.

mbs