It's Heating Up

LeoCasey at aol.com LeoCasey at aol.com
Fri Oct 27 08:02:57 PDT 2000

New York City teachers I know best, and here teachers are well above the citywide proportions of Democratic registration in a city which is about 3/4 Democratic. My best guess is that this generally holds true throughout the state in that teachers will be a number of steps more to the left than the local population. Now, NYC is not New York State, and in suburban or upstate areas where the parties have parity or a Republican edge, you are not going to find a 80 to 90% Democratic registration among teachers, but something much more akin to a 60% edge. There are also many teaches registered as independent, although not as much as one might think, since primaries are very crucial battlegrounds in NY State. Like social work, education as a profession is generally attractive to those who are more liberal than the population as a whole. And education is also, of course, the most heavily unionized "industry" in this country.

I think that Max is right about the Democratic Party not being a classical class based party along the lines of a Social Democratic or Labor party, and so there may be some slippage. But since the New Deal realignment, and especially since the triumph of Reaganism, any notion of a liberal Republicanism that could compete with the Democrats for liberal-left voters has collapsed entirely; the only outreach to poor and working class voters from Republicans is to the socially conservative segments, the so-called Catholic ethnics and the Protestant fundamentalists. Moreover, since the New Deal until its demise, liberal Republicanism was clearly country club, old Northeastern wealth Republicanism, which is why it was named after Nelson Rockefeller. Its liberalism was a patrician liberal, noblese oblige concern for the downtrodden.

No NYC teacher who is going to vote for Nader would ever, in their wildest dreams, imagine voting for Bush if Nader were not on the ballot. When I make telephone calls for the UFT COPE phone banks, all the members who indicate that they will vote for Nader are concentrated in left liberal, white, heavily Jewish middle strata communities, such as the Upper West Side. Nader is clearly taking those votes from Gore. Now in New York, that is not very critical, as Gore has a very healthy statewide lead. But in other states, it is very critical. And believe me, the minority of NYC teachers, mostly living in the suburbs, who would vote Bush are not about to even contemplate Nader. [Teachers living in communities of color are voting a straight Democratic ticket.]

I wouldn't generalize very far about the union vote using teachers as the sample, for teachers are not very susceptible to appeals to social conservatism in the way other segments of the working class might be. And teachers are most certainly not about to led down the garden path by the NRA. But I still just don't get how any would think that a strong Nader vote helps Gore, or that a 'protest' vote would go to Bush if Nader were not an option. It is completely counter-intuitive to me.

<< Really, Leo. In New York state what's your best guess on the percent of

unionized teachers who are registered Republicans, registered Democrats or

registered Independents/other?

Tom Lehman >>

Leo Casey United Federation of Teachers 260 Park Avenue South New York, New York 10010-7272 (212-598-6869)

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never has, and it never will. If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation are men who want crops without plowing the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightening. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its waters. -- Frederick Douglass --