Tom Frank article in Salon

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 27 12:34:34 PDT 2000

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Chuck0 wrote:

> ... Did anybody else notice Chomsky's silence after the Seattle
> protests? I don't know what he was up to, but I didn't see any
> articles from him in several months. I started visualizing him in his
> office, with his feet up on the desk, and broad smile on his face. He
> was probably thinking. "Ahhh, they finally get it."

In December the following comment from Chomsky was posted in the Z Magazine conferences:

"What happened in Seattle seems to me to be a testimonial to what can be achieved by years of patient, dedicated efforts of education, organization, and activism. There was a solid background that brought people there. Contrary to press reports, most knew why they were there, and had good reasons to be there. Naturally, ideologues prefer to see it as irrational fear of the future, childish play, etc. It's far from that. How important is it? That depends what is done to build on the base of domestic and international solidarity that was exhibited at Seattle. Could turn out to be extremely important."

--C. G. Estabrook