Allies against fascism?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Oct 27 14:38:52 PDT 2000

Max:

>I am sympathetic to criticisms of the Allies'
>posture prior to D-day. But . . .
>
>The simple, undeniable reality is that Churchill
>and Roosevelt destroyed Hitler and interrupted
>a holocaust.

Mark Jones had a debate with Johannes Schneider once on a subject related to this, and he wrote:

***** ...There were three major strategic forces in the European theatre of world war 2, in this order of importance: (1) the Red Army; (2) British cryptography and cryptonalysis, including the creation of Colossus, the first truly programmable computer, largely designed by Alan Turing, which enabled the reading of Ultra messages in practically real time; and (3) RAF Bomber Command, a decisive instrument of Total War.

The Allied forces which invaded Normandy and earlier Italy were a distant 4th. The role of the Americans in Europe was largely (a) mopping-up the very-young and very-old last levees of the Wehrmacht and (b) chocolate and cigarette distributing PR.... <http://www.mail-archive.com/leninist-international%40buo319b.econ.utah.edu/msg00738.html> *****

It's a neat narrative: an alliance of the Reds & the queer British brain vanquishing the fascists.

Yoshie