Allies against fascism?

Sat Oct 28 15:07:21 PDT 2000

I'll send him a copy of this to see if he wants to comment.

I don't know where I heard it, but I heard that the Red Army inflicted 95% of the casualties on the Nazis' Army. Aptheker was probably aware of that fact.

I believe, Aptheker was a major in Black troop units in Europe

>>> sawicky at epinet.org 10/27/00 05:49PM >>>
Hi Yosh.

That's news to me -- #2 and #3, that is. You learn something new every day. If only it was always true.

The notion of a campaign that began with the amphibious assault at Normandy as a 'mopping up' operation is creative. Pity no left historians have caught on to this. Only Jones. I wonder what Herbert Aptheker would say.

max

***** ...There were three major strategic forces in the European theatre of world war 2, in this order of importance: (1) the Red Army; (2) British cryptography and cryptonalysis, including the creation of Colossus, the first truly programmable computer, largely designed by Alan Turing, which enabled the reading of Ultra messages in practically real time; and (3) RAF Bomber Command, a decisive instrument of Total War.

The Allied forces which invaded Normandy and earlier Italy were a distant 4th. The role of the Americans in Europe was largely (a) mopping-up the very-young and very-old last levees of the Wehrmacht and (b) chocolate and cigarette distributing PR....