Organs/commodities

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Mon Oct 30 08:27:08 PST 2000

http://vancouver.globaltv.com/bc/news/stories/news-20001028-160422.html

Grandmother Tries To Sell Grandson For

Organs

Russian Boy Was To Be Sold For $70,000 US

MOSCOW, Posted 2:04 p.m. PDT October 28, 2000

-- The boy thought his grandmother was taking him to

Disneyland, but Russian police say she had other plans: to

sell her grandson so his organs could be used for

transplants.

Police in Ryazan, 200 kilometres southeast of Moscow, said

Saturday they arrested a woman after they were tipped that

she was trying to sell her grandson to a man who was going

to take the boy to the West.

There, his organs were to be

removed and sold, a Ryazan police

officer said.

After a surveillance operation,

police moved in to arrest the woman

Tuesday, capturing the event on a video tape that was

released in part on Saturday. Police did not reveal the

woman's name.

The woman was helped in the scheme by the boy's uncle,

who told police the child was being sold for about $70,000

US.

When asked how he could sell his nephew, the uncle

replied: "My mother said that it is none of my business, he is

her grandson."

The boy, whose age was not released, lived with his

grandmother.

Body parts have been smuggled out of Russia in the past for

sale in the West as organ replacements.

Copyright 2000 by The Associated Press. All rights

reserved. This material may not be published,

broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

-- Marta Russell author, Los Angeles, CA http://disweb.org/ Beyond Ramps: Disability at the End of the Social Contract http://www.commoncouragepress.com/russell_ramps.html