Taking Odds

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Mon Oct 30 11:17:32 PST 2000

Steve Perry wrote:

> as i understand it, a failure to resolve the matter in the electoral college
> means it's thrown to the house of representatives, right? not much doubt how
> it would turn out there.
>
> > Anyone care to speculate on the chances that the Electoral College might end
> > up choosing
> > Gore for president, notwithstanding a popular vote that favors Bush, or
> > vice-versa?

The House would only take it up if the Electoral College wasn't able to come out in favor of one candidate over the other, but it's unlikely it would reach that point.

While there's nothing to stop the Electoral College from choosing a different candidate from the one the populace picks (and what wonderful choices there are, huh?), it's obviously extremely unlikely and hasn't happened in a century or so. I posed the question because there's something about this election that makes the possibility seem a tad less remote this time around. But just a tad.

--

/ dave /