WashPost on Nixon judge appointments (Re: NYT on Bush judge appointments

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 30 15:24:00 PST 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Doug, you have this amazing capacity to act as if we have a caudillo system
>where the President (or Governor) has absolute unilateral power, thereby
>ignoring the role of the legislature. In Texas, Bush had to get nominees
>through a Democratically-controlled state house.

Oh yes, and getting a SC nominee who'd want to overturn Roe v Wade through the Senate would be a walk in the woods.

I wonder how defenders of abortion read the popular mood, or the prospects for popular mobilization. Focusing so intently on the courts is almost an implicit confession of feeling politically weak.

Doug